[78-L] Audio - Mac vs PCs - any advice? (rjh334578gmail)

David Palmquist davidpalmquist at telus.net.invalid
Thu Sep 11 12:56:43 PDT 2014

Everyone likes what they like - there's no right answer for Mac vs
Windows machines.

Someone wrote "If you have no idea what that last paragraph means, stick
with Windows.  No sense trying to learn to drive a standard transmission
this late in life."

Sadly,  if you buy a new PC, you'll end up with the new Windows 8.1
operating system, which is VERY VERY different than older Windows
versions.  I've had it for most of a year now, and I'm still finding it
hard to get used to.   (I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!)   It's
oriented toward touch-screens, so if you have one and are used to
tablets, ipods and ipads, it may be easy for you, but for me, a lot of
the things that were easy to do in Windows XP are no longer easy.  At all.

On the other hand, I bought a high-powered PC, and the sound is very
good with my speaker system.  There was no problem installing programs I
had on my old machine, and both Audacity and Creative WaveStudio (now
available as freeware) run in Windows 8.1 with no problem.  So do
NoteworthyComposer and the simple version of Finale.

David in Delta