[78-L] "Natural"? OT?

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com.invalid
Tue Sep 2 07:22:12 PDT 2014

On 9/2/2014 10:07 AM, Bud Black wrote:

> Hey....could be an alternative to "supernatural.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Sep 2, 2014, at 8:32 AM, Don Cox <doncox at enterprise.net.invalid> wrote:
>

>> On 01/09/2014, Julian Vein wrote:
>>

>>> What is the significance of the use of the adjective "natural" in song
>>> lyrics? For instance, "natural town"; "natural child"; "natural man".
>>>
>> A "natural child" is one born out of wedlock, as opposed to a formally
>> correct child.
>>
>> Regards
>> --
>> Don Cox

Lots of different meanings, yes.

Elizabethan/Shakespeare "natural" = "foolish, simple-minded", as
"natural fool." I was astounded years ago when an old Maine friend
pointed at someone along the road and said "That fellow looks natural."
If I hadn't read Shakespeare I'd never have known what he meant.

--
David Sanderson
East Waterford Maine
dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com