[78-L] OFF TOPIC: Convenience Fees

Kurt Nauck nauck at 78rpm.com.invalid
Sun Aug 10 14:05:46 PDT 2014

Hey there Darren

Just a couple of comments regarding your posts. So that others will
understand what your comments referred to, the "Convenience Fee" is a
charge we add to a purchase that is paid for by credit card or Paypal
to cover the fees assessed by the card processor on our end. (We do
not charge any fee to persons spending under $100.)

In days of old, people would send checks to cover their wins and
purchases, which we would then deposit into our bank account. Simple,
straightforward and no charges involved. But as time went by, more
and more people began paying by cc or pp. For a long time we absorbed
those charges, but it finally reached a point at which we could no
longer do so.

Now most companies build these sorts of charges into the price
structure of their product; however, we sell mainly by auction so
that is not possible. (Which is why most auction houses also charge
for payment by these methods.) The only way we could build this in
would be to add it to the shipping and packing charges, which would
have been a reasonable solution. However, I didn't wish to penalize
bidders who preferred to pay by check.

So the fairest method - as it always is - was to give customers a
choice. Send me cash or check with no fee, or pay the fee to use a cc
or pp. To me it makes no difference, because the fee is not profit
generating; it only covers processing costs. (By the way, processing
foreign transactions such as yours is much more expensive than US
transactions.)

Like you, I agree that the phrase "Convenience Fee" is annoying.
However, there is (or was) a legal reason for that terminology. My
processor wouldn't allow me to simply say something like "add 3-5% to
your order if paying by cc." These companies fought long and hard to
prevent businesses from steering customers away from using plastic.
But if a vendor established a rate schedule (not a percentage) and
called it a "Convenience Fee," then it was allowed. So that's what I
had to do to remain in compliance.

This has now changed, and I can use a percentage and call it what I
like. And perhaps eventually I will, but I have more important things
to attend to at the moment. Once I've created a process, it is
difficult (for many different reasons) to change it.

I trust that this sheds more light on our decision-making process. I
spend many hours and a great deal of thought on how to better serve
our customers and keep their costs down. Those efforts brought you
things like a bidding protocol that awards you records at 10% over
the next highest bidder (or for the MB amount if you are the only
bidder), and much lower shipping costs for foreign customers. These
savings more than compensate for a voluntary payment fee.

Thanks for all your past business, and for being such a good and
loyal customer!

Kurt Nauck
c/o Nauck's Vintage Records & Texas Ready
22004 Sherrod Ln.
Spring, Texas  77389

www.78rpm.com  |  www.TexasReady.net
www.MDADA.org  |  www.NewPledge.org

E-Mail: nauck at 78rpm.com
Phone: (281) 288-7826  |  Fax: (425) 930-6862