[78-L] Kid Ory

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl.invalid
Wed Aug 6 08:33:52 PDT 2014

The alt. take 1 of Ory's 1944 Blues For Jimmy is first (?) listed in Jepsen,
on Crescent 2 (as is the normal -2).
This was copied by Bruyninckx, and at the same time he began omitting
78-rpm reissues, mainly retaining the orig. issue.
Thus Blue Star 192 (for Get Out/South), listed by Jepsen, is absent in later Bruyninckx editions.
But Bruyninckx made a typo, and Crescent 2 for Jimmy-1 became Crescent 1.
When Lord started ca. 1990, he copied all Bruyninckx paperbacks for the jazz
from ca. 1917-mid 1980s (plus some copying from the Dixon-Godrich blues dg,
since Bruyninckx had not issued blues paperbacks).
So this Crescent 1 typo entered Lord, and Blue Stars are absent.
The basic rule is that Lord did research on post-1990 recordings and releases,
but earlier jazz/blues was copied from existing sources, sometimes resulting in new errors.
So you get a mix of new revisions and old errors.

The Kid Ory dg by Sid Bailey, "Greatest Slideman Ever Born" doesn't list Jimmie-1, only -2A,
and adds a note:
"Jepsen and others list two issued takes but listening seems to indicate that only the above was issued."
And it lists 2 Blue Stars, but different from Jepsen:
BS 186 = Crescent 2; BS 192 = Crescent 1.
Gazell 1008 couples Creole Song/South, and 1009 Jimmy/Get Out (at least on my label scans),
and this is incorrect in Bailey, who apparently copied Jepsen.
Creole Song is correctly Gzl 1008 in Jepsen (where it is coupled wrongly with Get Out), but
Bruyninckx gives Creole on 1009 (it is the only Ory Gazell title lists), so now this is wrong too,
amd YES! now it is [as expected] wrong in Lord too, as can be seen in Julian's text below.
What a mess.

han enderman
===
>>> I have the GTJ CD reissue also, which only reprints Nesuhi Ertegun's original notes from the GTJ LP issued in 1953.

You can find the Jazz Man ad I spoke of for the two Crescent releases in the December 1944 edition of The Record Changer. Crescent 1 & 2 were issued simultaneously on Jan. 1, 1945.

The answer could be simply that take 1 of "Blues for Jimmy" was either incomplete or unacceptable. I see no evidence to the contrary.

Cary Ginell
---
Since Crescent 1 & Crescent 2 were issued concurrently, it is highly unlikely that "Blues for Jimmy" would be on both discs, even for a short period of time. I have an ad that the Jazz Man Record Shop took out that shows both discs being offered at the same time.
---
I've never seen a copy of Crescent 1 with "Blues for Jimmy" on it (in the U.S. it was spelled "Jimmy." Only on Jazz Man 22 was it spelled "Jimmie.")
My copy of Crescent 1 has "South" backed with "Creole Song."

In my research for my book on the Jazz Man Record Shop, I examined the Jazz Man logs that Concord Jazz controls and did not see that "Blues for Jimmy" was scheduled for Crescent 1. Have you seen a copy?

Cary Ginell
---
It seems that take -1 of "Blues for Jimmie" from this session has never
been reissued . Any reason? If Crescent 1 is rare, then so must its
reverse with CPM1035-2.

Mutt Carey (tp) Kid Ory (tb,vcl) Omer Simeon (cl) Buster Wilson (p) Bud
Scott (bj) Ed Garland (b) Alton Redd (d)
Los Angeles, August 3, 1944

CPM1034-1    Blues for Jimmie (*)    Crescent 1
CPM1034-2    Blues for Jimmie    Crescent 2, Jazz Man 22, Good Time Jazz
         77, Vogue (E)LAG12104, Blue Star (F)BM8006, Avenue AVINT1015,
         Franklin Mint GJR067, Best of Jazz (F)4023 [CD], GHB BCD10 [CD],
         Rhino R2-75872 [CD]
CPM1035-2    Creole song (ko vcl)    Crescent 1, Gazell (Swd)1009, Avenue
         AVINT1015, Jazz Man 21, GHB BCD10 [CD], Rhino R2-75872 [CD]
Note: Best of Jazz (F)4023 [CD] titled "Kid Ory - The Swing Era"; rest
of CD by others.
GHB BCD10 [CD] titled "The legendary Crescent recording sessions; see
August-November 1945 for rest of CD.
All above titles from GHB BCD10 [CD] also on Good Time Jazz 12022,
GTCD12022-2 [CD], both titled "Kid Ory's Creole Jazz Band"; see
August-November, 1945 for rest of LP & CD.
All titles, except (*), also on Classics (F)1069 [CD].

       Julian Vein
<<<