[78-L] Fwd: Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Columbia tape adoption

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca.invalid
Sat Aug 2 09:10:28 PDT 2014

I don't think the original tape was used for the first CD South Pacific, which
is the one with the missing high notes in Carefully Taught, and which has the
later cover, but it WAS used (and referred to) in the CD I bought with a "Nice
Price" sticker and the original green cover. That's the one that is full of
distortion and sounds off speed.

Columbia was notorious for splicing parts of takes together and not caring
about pitch changes, which were frequent (Dinu Lipatti's Chopin, a Casadesus
disc, many others). But I hear far worse examples of tape speeds varying on 70s
reissues, like the Odyssey "Medium/Telephone" and RCA's mid 70s Broadway
reissues like Call Me Madam.

dl