[78-L] Racism in record collecting [was Poll answer!! --Review of Do Not Sell At Any Price]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Jul 26 10:54:47 PDT 2014

On 26/07/14 18:00, Mike Harkin wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the sort of music in question, but perhaps the collectors fed their feeling of superiority:
> "these guys still live in the jungle, and this so-called
> music proves it."  Or words to that effect.  Hitler
> thought that jazz proved the inferiority of blacks.  An
> irony:  at the 1936 Olympics, Jesse Owen and die
> schwarzen Mithilfer (black auxilliaries) competed wearing
> Adidas athletic shoes -- a German product!
>
> Mike in Plovdiv
I suspect the Nazis rationalised Owens's victory by thinking to
themselves that Black people may be superior to Whites physically, but
not intellectually. After all, running is only an animal skill.

Ironically, jazz was still being recorded in occupied Europe during
42-43, whilst there was a recording ban in the USA on commercial sessions.

       Julian Vein