[78-L] "Yes, We Have No Bananas" POLL

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Jul 22 01:53:39 PDT 2014

On 22/07/14 07:57, Michael Biel wrote:
> I am taking an important opinion poll among 78 collectors and I would
> appreciate it if ALL of you will answer these two simple questions.
>
>   1) Do you have a copy of a recording of "Yes, We Have No Bananas" in
> your collection? YES ____ No_____ and
>
> 2) If someone were to come up to you and ask if you would place this
> copy of "Yes, We Have No Bananas" amid your collection, would you glower
> (frown) at them as if they had announced that they will slowly disfigure
> your face with a fork? Yes____ No ____

1) Yes, by Mary Lou Williams, but it's an instrumental, so that probably
doesn't count.

A tune I detest is "Varsity Drag", which I don't have on 78. It's
something TV and radio programme makers generally use to evoke the
twenties. They seem to be unaware of the vast heritage available from
that period.

       Julian Vein