[78-L] Elsa Lanchester recordings

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net.invalid
Mon Jul 21 06:46:40 PDT 2014

Below is a list of ELSA LANCHESTER recordings, focusing primarily on musical
material.

If anyone has additional information corrections and additions for these AND
her other recordings, I'd like to update to the list.

Particularly - what other 78's and details such as matrix numbers and
recording dates ???

                     HIFI Records - details for the re-issues,  which
contain or omit the Laughton's comments?, other Canadian, Australian, UK,
etc. issues ???

                     HMV CLP 1417 - I can not find a listing for this - are
these the same recordings as were issued by VERVE or a different session ???

                     Broadcast material ???.

                     release dates, missing catalog numbers and track
information ???

                     cassette releases (CS) were these issued on LP's or
other formats ???

                     on soundtrack recordings - does Lanchester appear on
the recordings, if so what is her contribution ???

If anyone has the LEGACY CD, I would greatly appreciate a copy of the
notes..

THANK YOU!
Best Wishes, Thomas.

ELSA LANCHESTER (28 October 1902 - 26 December 1986)    RECORDINGS

1926  COLUMBIA(E) 4125                                     10"-78rpm
A3776 Please Sell No More Drink to my Father
A3777 He Didn't Oughter (Riverside Nights)

1930  Columbia(E) DB 81                                          78rpm
Don't Tell my Mother I'm living in Sin
Ladies Bar

REISSUES:

PARLOPHONE(UK) PMC-7141 (EMI 062 04919)     GREAT MOVIE STARS of the
Thirties                      LP 19xx
xx Don't Tell My Mother I'm Living in Sin

Monmouth-Evergreen MES/7031   A NOSTALGIA TRIP TO THE STARS 1924-1937 Volume
iI               LP 1971?
A NOSTALGIA TRIP TO THE STARS 1924-1937 Volume II
xx Don't Tell My Mother I'm Living in Sin

STANYAN SR 10055                                              LP 19xx
NOSTALGIA's GREATEST HITS Volume 1
xx Ladies Bar

???? possibly broadcast recording, 1940's or 1950's
CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THESE ???????????????????????????????????????????

STAR-TONE ST-203                                              LP 197x
xx Baby It's Cold Outside - Charles Laughton/Elsa Lanchester

RADIO YESTERDAY   xxxx                                                  3-CS
1992   ??????????????????
Pop Music Wartime Hit Parade
xx Spying is trying (Elsa Lanchester)

RADIO SPIRITS xxxx The Burns and Allen show                     CS 1999
EMI 539512       HOLLYWOOD STARS                              CD 2002
04 Charles Laughton as Santa (Charles Laughton, Elsa Lanchester, George
Burns, Gracie Allen)
CBS, Broadcast on 12-21-43 George Burns & Gracie Allen Show

HIGH FIDELTY RECORDINGS, INC., Hollywood, CA.

1957 SONGS FOR A SMOKE FILLED ROOM
ELSA LANCHESTER
Remarks by Charles Laughton
Piano accompaniment by Ray Henderson

HIFI Records R405                                     LP 1957

SPARTON(Canada) R 405                                      LP 1957
VOGUE(UK) VA 160126                                    LP 1958
TRADITION(Everest) TR 2065 BAWDY COCKNEY SONGS       LP       [phony stereo]
ESSENTIAL MEDIA                                        CD-r 2009
ESSENTIAL MEDIA                           CD-r/mp3 2013 "remastered"

A1 Never Go Walking Out Without Your Hat Pin
A2 If You Peek In My Gazebo
A3 Fiji Fanny
A4 When a Lady Has a Piazza
A5 The Ratcatchers Daughter
A6 At The Drive-in
B1 If you can't get in the corners
B2 the husband's clock
B3 please sell no more drink to my father (Victorian Temperance Song)
B4 Linda and her Londonderry air
B5 Catalogue Woman
B6 Lola's Saucepan

1958 SONGS FOR A SHUTTERED PARLOR
ELSA LANCHESTER
remarks by Charles Laughton
Ray Henderson, piano

HIFI Records (Hollywood CA) R406
LP 1958
HIFI(Australia) R406
LP
VOGUE(UK) Vogue VA 160139
LP 1959

TRADITION(Everest) TR 2091 MORE BAWDY COCKNEY SONGS    LP phony stereo]
ESSENTIAL MEDIA
CD-r 2009
ESSENTIAL MEDIA GROUP UPC: 8 94231 2366 24                         CD-r
10/24/2011
ESSENTIAL MEDIA
CD-r 2013 "remastered"

A1 I Didn't Know Where To Look
A2 The Yashmack Song
A3 It May Be Life
A4 Faith, Hope and Charity
A5 Little Fred
A6 I'm Glad To See Your Back
B1 My New York Slip
B2 The Janitor's Boy
B3 The Ruined Maid
B4 Mrs. Badger Butts
B5 Melinda Maime
B6 She was Poor, But She was Honest

195x ELSA LANCHESTER SINGS
HiFi EPR-405x45
7"-45rpm ep ps
.I Didn't Know Where To Look
. It May Be Life
. Fiji Fanny
. Catalogue Woman

LEGACY INTERNATIONAL CD 363                  CD 1992, CD-r/mp3 2009
ELSA LANCHESTER (The Bride of Frankenstein) SINGS BAWDY COCKNEY SONGS

1. Fiji Fanny                            3:53
2. At the Drive In                        3:49
3. Please Sell No More Drink To My Father 3:36
4. When A Lady Has A Piazza               3:54
5. Linda and Her Londonderry Air          2:43
6. If You Peek In My Gazebo               3:52
7. Catalog Woman                         4:25
8. Rat Catcher's Daughter                2:38
9. Never Go Walking Without Your Hat Pin 2:11
10. The Husband's Clock                   2:56
11. Lola's Saucepan                        3:01
12. The Yashmak Song                      3:47
13. Faith, Hope And Charity                2:54
14. Little Fred                            3:42
15. I'm Glad To See Your Back             4:24
16. My New York Slip                      2:12
17. The Janitor's Boy                      3:42
18. The Ruined Maid                        2:27
19. Mrs. Badger-Butts                      4:00

NOTE: some reissues OMIT Charles Laughton's remarks.

---------------

1960 COCKNEY LONDON                      VERVE MGV 15015    LP
Songs by Elsa Lanchester
Censored by CHARLES LAUGHTON
With: RAY HENDERSON & DON DOLLARHIDE, piano.

Side 1
[Introduction]
Our Three Penny Hop
When the Summer Comes Again
Her Golden Hair Was Hanging Down Her Back
He Didn't Oughter
[Introduction]
Burlington Bertie from Bow
[Introduction]
Put My Little Shoes Away
He Danced the Fandango All Over the Place

Side 2
[Introduction]
At My Time of Life
When I Came to This House
Ta-Ra-Ra-Boom-De-Ay
[Introduction]
Mrs. Dyer, The Baby Farmer
The Old Kent Road
[Introduction]
Won't You Buy My Sweet Blooming Lavender
[Introduction]
The Fire Ship.

196x ELSA LANCHESTER HERSELF - An Intimate Musical Revue
VERVE V-15024 LP gf
Elsa Lanchester
Censored by Charles Laughton
with Ray Henderson & Don Dollarhide at the two pianos.

Side 1
Overture
Won't you buy my sweet blooming lavender?
Charity
Cockney London
Bits and pieces
Our three penny hop
Night club days
The ballad of Sister Anne
I may be fast
Cat's meat
Lola

Side 2
I'm glad to see you're back
Dancing days and stinkbombs
Freedom and all that
Un bon mouvement
The boatmen's dance
H.R.H. and N.Y.C.
Catalogue woman
When a lady has a piazza
Finale.

------------------------

WINDYRIDGE VAR63    ELSA LANCHESTER Cockney London       CD-r 20xx

from HMV CLP 1417 recorded 1959
1 Your baby 'As gorn down the Plug 'Ole;
2 Our Three Penny Hop;
3 When the Summer comes again;
4 And her Golden Hair was hanging down her back;
5 He didn't oughter;
6 introduction
7 Burlington Bertie from Bow;
8 introduction
9 Put my Little Shoes away;
10 He danced the Fandango all over the Place;
11 introduction
12 I aven't told 'Im not up to now;
13 When the Old Dun Cow caught fire;
14 At my Time of Life;
14 When I came into this House;
16 Ta-Ra-Ra Boom-De-Ay;
17 introduction
18 Mrs Dyer, The Baby Farmer;
19 Knocked 'em in the Old Kent Road;
20 introduction
21 Won't you Buy my Sweet Blooming Lavender;
22 introduction
23 The Fire Ship;

Verve V 15004 1960
24 Cat's Meat;

Vogue VA 160126 1958
25 Linda and her Londonderry Air;
26 Never go walking without your Hat Pin;
27 The Husband's Clock;
28 The Ratcatcher's Daughter;

Vogue VA 160139 1958
29 Mrs Badger-Butts;
30 Little Fred;
31 She was poor but she was honest;
32 The Ruined Maid;

Vogue VA 160126 1958
33 Sell No More Drink to My Father;

Columbia(E) DB81 1930
34 Don't Tell my Mother I'm living in Sin;
35 Ladies Bar;

Elsa Lanchester appears on various other recordings - soundtracks of her
films, theater work, and other work.

A sampling:

1962, June 14, CBS-TV      STRAVINSKY: The FLOOD

COLUMBIA ML 5757/MS 6357                LP 1962
SONY Classical SM2K 46300             2-CD 1991

Lawrence Harvey, narrator
Sebastian Cabot, John Reardon , Robert Oliver, Paul Tripp, Richard Robinson
Elsa Lanchester, Noah's wife
Columbia Symphony and Chorus

1964 MARY POPPINS                                        VISTA SWDL 4026
LP

1969 ME, NATALIE soundtrack                        COLUMBIA OS 3350   LP

1975 TURNBOUT-A Satirical Revue                 PELICAN 142       LP
Dorothy Neumann, Elsa Lanchester, Bill Buck, Rah Hoffman, Forman Brown,
Harry Burnett

197x BRECHT IN HOLLYWOOD                         PACIFICA RADIO ARCHIVES
2-CS 1980
David Ossman; Elsa Lanchester; John Houseman;
Documentary of the life of Bertolt Brecht during 1941-1947 when he worked in
Hollywood. Included are interviews with Martha Feutchwanger, Elsa
Lanchester, and John Houseman and testimony before the House Un-American
Activities Committee which investigated Brecht.