[78-L] Yeast Foamer's March

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Sun Jul 20 20:02:25 PDT 2014

Many of us know and love this record.  Kurt uses it as his theme song for
the bidder shows.

What do we really know about this record?

All copies I have seen are white label Victor specials with gold print,
bearing mx 64230-2 for The Yeast Foamer's March by Yeast Foamer's Orchestra,
direction of Harry Kogan; and 64231-1 for the flip side, In the Gloaming by
Chauncey Parsons, Yeast Foam's Magic Tenor.  Northwestern Yeast Company,
Chicago, Illinois.  The announcer has a strong Chicago accent.

For starters, the mx is not in the Victor Master Book as it was not intended
for issue on a domestic commercial record.  It falls, however, between 64087
on April 2, 1931 and 64301, six months EARLIER on October 7, 1930.  Most of
the 64000, and 64100 and 64200 are all missing, including the Foamers.  Any
explanation where those blocks may have been allocated?  That's nearly 300
missing matrices.

Whenever it was made, it post-dates the current EDVR status, but Chauncey
Parsons shows up on a pair of tests made in 1926.  Neither the band nor
Harry Kogan show up on EDVR, but Harry and Chauncey namesakes show up on
facebook.  Northwestern Yeast recipe books seem to show up pretty regularly,
but I have not scoped out any histories indicating a date of demise or
anything else.

Does anybody know the story behind this record?  It's obviously and
advertising promotion, but has anybody seen an original sleeve or mailer
which may give us some clues?

Rodger

For best results use Victor Needles