[78-L] Recording Quality - a relative term

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net.invalid
Tue Jul 8 08:51:12 PDT 2014

On 08/07/2014, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:

> I remastered two of my favourite big band albums from the LPs - Glen
> Gray's "Swinging the Classics", (or whatever it's called, that doesn't
> sound right), which contained swing arrangements of such diverse
> classics as "Poet and Peasant overture", the second movement of
> Franck's Symphony and the last movement of Mozart's 40th Symphony, and
> the "Swingin' Nutcracker" by Shorty Rogers. I've never seen the Glen
> Gray one reissued and the only reissue of the Rogers was on a very
> expensive CD from Spain that was very poor sound - like AM radio and
> in Mono!!! I remastered these through CEDAR from LPs which were quite
> old and well played and the results were spectacular, (compliments to
> CEDAR). Anyone who hears them can't believe they're dubbed from LPs.

Dave Bennett at Avid records also gets very good sound in transfers from
vinyl. He has issued a long series of 1950s jazz albums (all out of
copyright).

But where it is possible to compare with a transfer from the studio
master tape, the studio tape is audibly a better source.

(Most of his reissues are not otherwise available on CD.)

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox at enterprise.net