[78-L] The guy who cleans his 78s with spit.

Darren Ingram darren at ingram.fi.invalid
Mon Jun 23 02:08:46 PDT 2014

I am sure there are issues involving public health too, at least on a
theoretical level. I am not squeamish but how many of us do remember to
wash our hands after placing a record on the turntable. Who hasn't
absent-mindedly scratched oneself or similar. Does one need to now consider
whether the previous record's owner had some disease or sickness and could
it be transferred? I am not a biologist but I do recall seeing signs about
transmission of vidii and sicknesses tand how one shouldn't spit in public
places. What next, a special condom-type attachment? Should one make a
"test purchase" from GB and send it to a public health lab for analysis?

I've worn glasses for my entire life (or from the age of 3 ish) but I can
never think in just over 40 years I've needed to SPIT on my glasses. You
tend to do that funny blowy/puffy thing to them before cleaning them (Ha!)
with a handkerchief but spitting?

I don't think one can attribute this to a British eccentricity. How does
one ensure that one only gets "pure spit" too?  I would have thought that
one's spit also is "contaminated" by whatever drink one has taken recently
too. Perhaps even food residue. So unless GB is drinking only distilled
water...?

As I believe younger people tend to say, or have tended to say in the past
"TMI".

Darren

¦ D P Ingram