[78-L] What key is that in?

Doug Pomeroy audiofixer at verizon.net.invalid
Mon Jun 9 16:02:01 PDT 2014

Hi Mal,

There are some inexpensive programs which help identify the
pitch of an audio sample, but I don't have a list of them.
I don't think any of them identify the key nor the chord names.

One "professional" processor is called "Capstan", made in
Germany by Melodyne. Another is "Retune", made by CEDAR,
in England.

These two ask what the pitch should be (usually 'A' at 440 Hz),
and then process a file and show where the pitch deviates, which
allows manual editing.

Capstan shows what the computer "thinks" is right, and allows
the operator to make manual corrections where the program
can't figure out what to do - so it's not "perfect" but it can produce
excellent results when used by an engineer who has a good sense
of pitch.  It may need help dealing with singer's vibrato (!), and It
doesn't work with spoken-word audio, and of course applause
drives it crazy!  But it's only $4000, which is not expensive for
what it can do (and it can be rented for a very reasonable fee).

Another process, by a different company, is called Plangent
Processes, which works only with tape recordings by analyzing
the very high bias frequency which is recorded along with the
audio in all modern tape recorders (you need the original tape,
not a copy).

Doug Pomeroy
Audio Restoration and Mastering Services
193 Baltic St
Brooklyn, NY  11201-6173
(718) 855-2650
audiofixer at verizon.net