[78-L] What key is that in?

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Sun Jun 8 15:59:18 PDT 2014

It just occurred to me... how come there isn't an app or a plug-in for
Audacity (or any other audio file modifying software) that determines
the pitch of a file? I'd think doing a quick average of the first few
seconds could determine the key that the start of the piece is in. Then
there might be an option that would allow the listener to shift the
records pitch digitally to raise or lower it so it's in tune to a set
pitch (like A440).
Another neat trick would be having the ability to show key changes
within a piece. Maybe like this Part 1 = C; Part 2 = G; Part 3 (1) = C;
Part 4 = Am; Part 5 (1) = C, and so forth. Note that in my example Parts
1, 3, and 5 have the same key and melody.
Just a thought.
Malcolm