[78-L] Most music area on a 78.

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com.invalid
Sun Jun 8 10:28:45 PDT 2014

I don't think this will be of any interest to Guiness but I think I've found a 78 which must be pretty close to being the record with the most music crammed on to it;  it is side three of Schubert's 5th symphony on English Decca conducted, (I think), by Jascha Horenstein.  This is the second half of the second movement and the record is a standard orange labled Decca with a normal sized small label.  The music comes to within 1/16th of an inch of the label all around.  A lot of players must have had a hard time playing this disc without hitting the end stop of the arm's travel.  My copy is in a manual sequence but the set must have been issued in a drop sequence as well and that would have been a challenge for a record changer.

I don't think everybody finds this kind of stuff interesting but I do.

db