[78-L] Red Scare - McCarthy era songs. Lennick replies

78-L Mail List 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
Wed May 14 13:08:48 PDT 2014

Just now seeing the Freberg stuff. Don't forget that in The History of
The United States, Part One: The Early Years, there's a sketch and song
wherein Thomas Jefferson visits Ben Franklin at night and tries to
persuade him to sign the Declaration of Independence. Halfway through
the song (titled "A Man Can't Be Too Careful What He Signs These Days"),
there's this:

Tom: You're so skittish! Who possibly could care if you do?
Ben: The UnBritish Activities Committee, that's who!

Michael Shoshani