[78-L] Helen Humes Philo 126 with priceless Lester Young - by han enderman - reply by Wheeler

78-L Mail List 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
Tue May 13 12:53:33 PDT 2014

Geoffrey Wheeler mailed me:

A person wouldn't know that the Lester Young Philo mis-pressing would be on the Helen Humes record unless he or she played it.
I have the record and it sure doesn't have the Lester Young side!
I knew Henry Renard and he told me about the record. I asked him if he might be interested in selling it. He said "yes" if the price was right.
I contacted a collector friend on the West Coast and told him about the record.
He asked what Henry wanted for it. I quoted Henry saying he would sell the record if "the price was right."
They talked and my friend got the record for $500.00. That tells you how much the record was worth to one person.
The guy who bought the record recently in auction got the steal of a lifetime!
In my opinion, Lester Young not only defined jazz he WAS jazz!

Since I can't post this on 78-L, you may do so if you like.

Geoffrey
-----
There may be different info in the wax of  both pressings.
The 2CD booklet gives 126B for the instrumental, and 127A-2 for See See Rider.
I bought the CD issue since it had the "unissued" Young track, and thus I noticed
the description of the Philo issue yesterday, long after it had been sold,
and within a few days it will be removed from "ebay completed".
It may be on popsike in the future, unless it is considered too cheap.

han enderman
===

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-RPM-Helen-Humes-Philo-126-in-V-E-/111275578600?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item19e88a94e8&nma=true&si=nD3LyQ0AYV7cfQtiAJsUF2IJK4k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_763wt_848

Philo 126 Helen Humes, acc. by Lester Young, mislabeled.
Only 3 bids; winning bid $ 39.55.

It's Better To Give Than To Receive / unknown Lester Young side (mis-labeled "See, See, Rider")
Helen Humes and her All-Stars with Lester Young. Side B is an instrumental jam session with 2 saxophones (including Lester Youmg) and a trumpet. Helen Humes is not present.

Apparently this Lester Young rarity went unnoticed by seller & collectors (prob. winner excepted).
It is not mislabeled, but misPRESSED.

The instrumental, mispressed on side B, 22 December 1945, was reissued on Blue Note 2CD of
the Complete Aladdin Recs of Lester Young (1995), with following note:

"Aladdin 78-126 [sic] contained ... "See See Rider". On a handful of initial copies, an untitled instrumental
(which we are calling "Riffin' Without Helen") was accidentally used in place of See See Rider.
Henry Renard, who purchased one of these at the time of release, notified Jerry Valburn of its existence
and kindly loaned us this priceless disc for transfer."

Considering that Lester Young was [in my opinion] the most influential jazz musician of the century,
influencing bebop, cool, the Herman brothers and West Coast jazz, and all honkers,
- so almost everyone in postwar jazz -
what would be a correct price for this rarity ?

han enderman
<<<