[78-L] Monarch / Victor question

78-L Mail List 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
Sun May 4 13:42:37 PDT 2014

The red US Monarch 5000 10" series mentions Victor TM Co Camden on the label.
Thus some sellers list it as Vic Monarch.
The real Victor 5000 series is a very different series, black label, with popular music.
Victor 5019 is by Miss Stevenson, Mr. Macdonough and Mr. Dudley:
I'll Wait For You Little Girlie (from label image; I did not check EDVR).
Vic 5012 is by Arthur Pryor (8-inch; notice dated July 1, 1906) (from scans).
EDVR should list the Monarch as a Monarch, not a Victor, I think.

I do not have images of 91016, but have label scan of 91013 by Caruso (Non T'Amo Tui)
on Victor (red Recorded In Europe label, with 1 Jan 1904 notice) and found the
Monarch 91015 (with similar Made... legend along upper border) on popsike (IIRC).

Gramophone is a difficult label. I have a scan of black G&T G.C.-2-2651 by Mr. Andrew Black,
Curate Song, but do not know if this is the same series as Gr 2-2662.

I also found a scan of (is this 12" or an early 10" series ?):
G&T (Gramophone Monarch) V.M.-032026 with Deux Grenadiers by Plancon. Same recording ?
Does V.M. refer to Victor Monarch ?
And G&T 032085 (without prefix) has Plancon: Le Caid (as has Monarch 91015 & Vic 5017).
Or did Victor make 10" & 12" recordings of the same title?

If you want scans of these label types I can send them, but popsike is a useful source
if you search by artist or label.

han enderman
jcenderman at solcon.nl
===
>>> I have a question about a Victor vs Monarch issue.
I have a copy of Monarch 91016 - Les Deux Grenadiers / Pol Plancon.  The original issue, as much as I've been able to find out, was Gramophone 2-2662.
I tried to find if a copy of the record has ever turned up on ebay, but the closest I was able to find was Monarch 91015, also by Plancon. The October 2012 auction listing said, in part: "It was recorded in March of 1902, originally issued on G&T #2-2664 and first seen in the US on Victor 5017.  This issue dates from 1904."
My question is, did the person who sold the record misstate the original listing as on Victor?  I was under the impression that the use of the Monarch name was replaced by Victor and that 5017 would have been on Monarch rather than Victor.  ... Based on that seller's listing and the EDVR, the Monarch I have was first issued in the US on either Monarch or Victor 5019.
ArtZ - zimrec at juno.com
---
EDVR:
Take Date and Place Take Status Label Name/Number Format Note
5/1902 (London, England) [1] Master Gramophone 2-2662 10" disc
5/1902 (London, England) [1] Master Victor 5019 10" disc
5/1902 (London, England) [1] Master Victor 91016 10" disc
- No, they don't show it as on Monarch.
(dl)
<<<