[78-L] Solution designed for bounces, from Ron Fial

78-L Mail List 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
Fri May 2 17:26:50 PDT 2014

Yahoo turned on an option two weeks ago that tells all mail servers implementing DMARK or SFP verfication to _reject email with a From: xxxxx at yahoo.com address if it does originate from a yahoo.com server.

Then people with a Yahoo address send the 78-L list email, and when it is re-sent to a 78-L member with an aol.com address, aol (respecting DMARK) now bounces it back to 78online.com, and after many bounces the innocent aol.com member gets his delivery turned off!  Then aol.com also turned on this reject option, and it got even uglier.  Gmail and other users never had the problem because most ISPs wisely ignored the Yahoo request to reject if From: domain did not match server's envelope address domain.

The possible solutions to this are too complicated to explain here.  The implementation of the DMARC 'standard' was broken and poorly designed from the start.  Apparently no one read the already existing standards carefully, so this time-bomb mess was created for all the mail lists in the world (and email in general) and fired off when Yahoo decided to implement these _reject options two weeks ago.  This option triggers aol, msn even yahoo, to reject email with a From: anybody at yahoo.com if it arrives from a server that is not yahoo.com, i.e. if it arrives from 78online.com.  So now the original sender's domain must be hidden!

Right now, our web archive  pages that sort by author will be broken, because the author of all messages becomes the same, 78-L.  Not really what I want and can't live with for long.

For instance, the From: could say dlennick at 78online.com, so that the Yahoo DMARK standard reject-code is not triggered at aol, msn, etc. and the list would still know the author and sort by author.  I would need to write a new message handler (or find one someone has already written) to tweak those headers, before the message is sent to outgoing.

Unfortunately there are some other complexities, and I am still sorting them all out.
Doing my best here...

Regards,
   Ron Fial   78-L list manager