[78-L] Facebook - again

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Wed Apr 30 10:51:57 PDT 2014

Somewhat after Facebook came about I subscribed. That lasted about six
months as I checked it out and finally made up my mind to unsubscribe.
Then came all those personal security breaches and I'm glad I did. I
managed to avoid that whole mess.
I have to admit a number of the groups that are up on Facebook now
appeal to me. And it doesn't seem to have the limitations that 78L or
the ARSClist do. That's fine. I'm more concerned with digital clutter
and personal data tracking than anything else.
Does Facebook sell personal info? My bank certainly will unless I opt
out and then they will do it anyway. Do I have to have yet another
unmemorizable password? If I want to leave a group can I do that without
a Facebook generated guilt trip being laid on me (...do you really want
to "unfriend" me? It's like kicking a puppy)?
Still, I'm thinking about reupping just to see. I know all my old info
is still in their database because you never really unsubscribe from
Facebook (and that's another strike against them, to my eyes), you're
just "inactive".
We'll see. If it suits maybe I'll settle in this time. If not I can
always unsubscribe and sink back into "oldfartism".
Malcolm

*******.