[78-L] name that era

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Wed Apr 30 06:30:54 PDT 2014

On 29/04/2014, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:

> If a label, such as "Baroque", is given to a style of music, and is
> from an era where art and architecture were called baroque, how can
> you then decide that "The music that is called "Baroque" is not at all
> Baroque in style."? It's like saying, "That person who is called
> "Dave" actually does not look like a Dave at all." If musicologists
> have decided to call the music of Vivaldi, Bach, Handel and Purcell
> "Baroque", then Baroque it is.

The characteristics of Baroque art are flamboyance, religiosity, and a
certain shallowness amounting even to vulgarity. Originally the word
means rough or ill-formed. ("Fauvist" is a term with similar
implications.)

These are not typical of the composers you mention.

I do not consider that what some musicologist thinks is gospel.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox at enterprise.net