[78-L] the end of the Great Singers Era

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Tue Apr 29 09:37:19 PDT 2014

Could it be that people began trying too hard to be Great Singers,
instead of actually being great singers? There is a certain level of
phoniness to be dealt with here. For example it's possible Judy Garland
was a person who ended up believing her own press releases. And Billie
Holiday was not.
Also I feel the public got lost in the (melodic and harmonic) complexity
that jazz became and that is why it dwindled. Same happened with
Hawaiian steel guitar playing. Taking a simple, grinnable concept and
turning it into a no-grin situation.
The inverse happened with the ukulele. It was born simple and stayed
that way. And it's still popular.
Malcolm

*******