[78-L] The smile factor (was: 78-L Kessel WAS Tatum)

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Tue Apr 29 09:27:49 PDT 2014

You know, I think musical taste for me comes down to what makes me
smile. If I find myself grinning from ear to ear for no apparent reason
upon hearing something (new, old, no matter) then I'm more apt to go
digging around to find more. It's really that simple.
Oscar Peterson makes me grin. Erroll Garner makes me grin. Tatum don't
make me grin.
Bennie Nawahi makes me grin. Sol Hoopii does too. Frank Ferera rarely does.
Lou Reed makes me grin. So does Sid Vicious ("My Way"). Don McLean don't
make me grin.
Easy.
Now, why I am I grinning (or not)? That's a lot more complex.
Malcolm

*******