[78-L] name that era

Joe Scott joenscott at mail.com
Mon Apr 28 08:53:34 PDT 2014

"But wouldn't most of these listed below be considered the tail of the
Big Band Era?"
That's about the second half of the Big Band Era, and the biggest hits of 1935 (or 1932 or whatever) to 1940 were probably blander than that. Imo Perry Como, Frankie Laine, and Tony Bennett weren't less hip singers than Gene Austin was, and Kay Starr, Mary Ford, and Rosemary Clooney weren't less hip singers than Mildred Bailey was. (I realize we're supposed to pretend Rosemary Clooney was boring, but the best Clooney I've ever heard was as good as the best Bailey I've ever heard.)
Joseph Scott

[...]