[78-L] two hits - same song

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Thu Apr 24 11:02:32 PDT 2014

I assume you're looking for records that were released at about the same time. Here are some:

Hot Rod Lincoln: Johnny Bond and Charlie Ryan and the Timberline Riders in 1960

Grazing in the Grass - Hugh Masakela in 1968, The Friends of Distinction in 1969

Abraham, Martin and John - Dion in 1968, The Miracles in 1969, and Moms Mabley (!) in 1969

Cast Your Fate to the Wind - Vince Guaraldi in 1963, Sounds Orchestral in 1965

Ain't That a Shame - Fats Domino and Pat Boone in 1955

Alley Oop - The Hollywood Argyles and Dante & the Evergreens in 1960

There are many more examples. It became less common when the rock and roll era came along, as performers started writing more of their own material, but it still happened.

>. . . the question for The Panel this evening is whether this
>phenomenon was ever repeated in the post big band days of the
>crooner/croonettes and on into the rock n roll days up to today.  Can
>anybody cite any such example since 1950?
>--
>Rodger

                       -        Jeff Lichtman
                                jeff at swazoo.com