[78-L] two hits - same song

Rodger J. Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 21:23:50 PDT 2014

Looking over the Whitburn digest of top ten hits from the Billboard charts
(the verifiable years, ignore that guesswork stuff from the early years) it
does appear that on numerous occasions during the big band days that the
same song could be a charted hit simultaneously by two - or more
- different artists.  This seems to be more a function of the Great
American Songbook than the big bands - they were just the lucky
beneficiaries, I guess.  The last one I found was Third Man Theme as
charted by Anton Karas and Guy Lombardo.  There may be others.

Be that as it may, the question for The Panel this evening is whether this
phenomenon was ever repeated in the post big band days of the
crooner/croonettes and on into the rock n roll days up to today.  Can
anybody cite any such example since 1950?

--
Rodger
For Best Results Use Victor Needles