[78-L] Sister Rockaway and I.H. Smiley and his Rockateers

Joe Scott joenscott at mail.com
Wed Apr 16 09:06:25 PDT 2014

Isaah H. "Ike" Smalley Jr. (1915-1991) was a Houston saxophonist and bandleader who was friendly with people like Arnett Cobb, Milt Larkin, and Calvin Owens. This record was made about 1948. One of the female singers who worked with Smalley in the late '40s was Inez Newell. (She appeared in two low-budget feature films, but I don't think she sang in either of them. She was the sole writer of the song "My Daddy's Got It" copyrighted 9/9/44.)
A birthday party of Smalley's in the '40s:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30643196@N00/224281912/
Joseph Scott