[78-L] The Old Jokes -- Thanks

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 9 19:52:24 PDT 2014

Thanks to everyone -- both on list and off --  for helping me with find Murry K. Hill's "The Old Jokes" for my Billy Golden presentation this evening. I used it as a sort of a prelude to the talk, as a way to get people into'old jokes,' as that was what was heard much of the evening. I also used a YouTube video of the crew membersof the Starship Enterprise attempting to fend off an invasion by Miley Cyrus to illustrate what people in the future might think of our current-day entertainment as a comparison to how we might experience the entertainment of Billy Golden's era.
I did go through and bleep out all of the 'N-words' in the selections I played. I did not use an electronic bleepbut instead I used the little horn Joe Hughes blows when Billy tells lies on the Edison version of "The Liars, orMy Uncle's Farm," so it was for me an organic solution. I was loath to censor the material but the Public Librarywas not the right venue for unadulterated originals. And I must say that without the N-word listeners concentratedon the material more and didn't get stuck on other things.
It was a very successful talk; I had a full house come to hear about Billy Golden. Imagine that! I will repeat it ina few months time. Thanks again to all who helped.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com