[78-L] Article in the Boston Globe on Audio Preservation

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 9 12:44:10 PDT 2014

Joel Bresler Asked:

 One area
that left me (and perhaps other readers) confused had to do with exactly
WHICH recording formats are at risk over time. Stored properly, aren't 78s
good for nearly forever? How about LPs? Acetates? Cylinders? I know tapes
are a problem, both cassette and reel-to-reel. And clearly wire recordings
are problematic, too.

I answer:
Lacquers (what many call "acetates") will degrade over time: palmitic acid forms and the coating will flake off.  Moisture speeds up this process.  Actual acetates will get warped and go floppy, but I'm not exactly sure of the causes behind that.

Shellac or vinyl 78s general fare better as long as they're stored cool, dry and flat, though I've heard that some mixes of shellac will get noisy if stored in humid climates.

Cylinders made (or partly  made) of wax will, of course, go moldy if they get damp.

Sammy Jones