[78-L] Arthur Smith (1921-2014)

Joe Scott joenscott at mail.com
Sat Apr 5 11:44:46 PDT 2014

Smith helped popularize boogie guitar among country musicians in the late '40s alongside the Delmore Brothers, at just about the same time that John Lee Hooker popularized it among R&B musicians. (It had previously been around anyway, but less, e.g. "I Want To Swing" by Tampa Red on electric and "Porky's Boogie Woogie On The Strings" by Porky Freeman on electric.) Smith's "Guitar Boogie" on MGM was a big hit. It was on acoustic, not electric as we sometimes see claimed. It was a reissue of the 1945 Super Disc recording (you can date it by comparing Don Byas's numbers) and not a remake for MGM as we sometimes see claimed. Its reputation as having to do with the rise of early rock and roll is probably exaggerated (although who knows how many guitarists playing rock sessions in '57 had loved it).

Off-topic: Arthur Smith's influence on popular culture generally is suggested by the inclusion of "Dueling Banjos" on the Big Audio Dynamite album Tighten Up '88, which imo is one of the top ten rock albums ever made.

Joseph Scott