[78-L] Rock & Roll rising (was: Escott, was Arnold Covey)

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 14:13:09 PDT 2014

Joe, all I was getting at was that slap bass was not rare by the 1920s on record, and 'who knows?' when it started 'live.'

What I don't get is how THOUSANDS of musicians, in cities all over the country were playing music like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3FNLnFg6Ck

by the late 1940s and 'it wasn't rock & roll yet' because it wasn't made by and for 'whites.'

And, for clarity's sake, 'I'm white.'

There were 'scenes' in (the short list) NYC, Philly, Pittsburg, Cleveland, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, Oakland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, NOLA, Jackson/Clarksdale, Memphis, Nashville, Baltimore, Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati...and then there was 'the chitlin' circuit...'