[78-L] Penny whistle aka tin whistle

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com
Sun Mar 16 14:05:43 PDT 2014

On 3/16/2014 4:08 PM, Cary Ginell wrote:
> I'm a flute player and have a collection of whistles, recorders, and
> the like. A penny whistle is generally made of tin and consists of
> six open holes. It's easier to "slur" or "smear" notes when you don't
> have keys (in fact, it's next to impossible to do them on a
> closed-hole flute). Tin whistles are blown vertically through a
> mouthpiece and are more recorder-like than flute-like. Easy to blow
> into but difficult to control pitch and volume. In my opinion, a
> penny whistle is MUCH easier to play than a piccolo.
>
> Cary

Some of my favorites are the Phillip's Louisville Jug Band recordings
with "walking cane flute" by "Charles 'Cane' Adams. Wonderful stuff,
especially "Tiger Rag", on a somewhat mysterious instrument, at least to
me. A quick search just now got me some information - apparently it's a
long flute, hence "walking cane," seems to have Native American
connections. Well worth including in your research.

--
David Sanderson
East Waterford Maine
dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com