[78-L] Early jazz flute solos

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun Mar 16 10:14:59 PDT 2014

Still compiling my list of early jazz flute or flutelike solos on record and obtained a copy of "Piccolo Pete" by Ted Weems & his Orchestra (Vi 22037), recorded 6/28/29. Of course, Rust doesn't list personnel and instrumentation on a song-by-song basis, just for the general session. Does anyone know who the likely piccolo player would be on this record? My guess would be Dick Cunliffe or Don Watt, who are the other reed men besides Parker Gibbs, who was singing during the piccolo playing. Here's the personnel:

Director - Ted Weems
Trumpets - Art Weems, Merrill Conner
Trombone - Harry Turner
Mellophone - Dudley Fosdick
Reeds - Dick Cunliffe, Don Watt, Parker Gibbs
Piano - Jack O'Brien
Banjo - Art Jarrett
Brass Bass - Country Washburn
Drums - Ormand Downes