[78-L] Flexo Record questions

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Mar 14 16:18:18 PDT 2014

Uncle Dave Lewis can tell you more about the Unity record, and there was
one pictured and discussed last week on facebook.  I believe the answer
to why Flexo instead of a shellac pressing is that Flexo was in Kansas
City which was more convenient for the KC church.  They did a whole
series of these records.  Mailing convenience might be another reason.

When Flexo move to San Francisco in the 30s they did the pressing for
Brunswick 16-inch transcriptions, and I have one of Kool Aid spots
advertising a contest with a prize of a trip to the Chicago World's Fair
2nd year, 1934.  Brunswick used the same red and black labels on these
and shellac pressings and had a notice on the label that black records
were shellac and could be played with regular steel needles but purple
records were acetate and should be played only with a new shadowgraphed
needle.  This is one of the reasons why broadcasters mistakenly called
lacquer coated discs acetate.  Flexo pressings WERE acetate, as were the
floppy clay colored World pressings.  Lacquers, of course, are NITRATE.
I haven't smelled any vinegar on Flexos but I have on World and other
floppy Western Electric pressings.  Lacquers, of course, can't get
vinegar syndrome because they are not acetate.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com