[78-L] Rock & Roll rising

Koen Kamphuijs & Gusta Harderwijk koen at koenkamphuijs.nl
Thu Mar 13 13:30:16 PDT 2014

There have been zillions of discussions on the distinction between
Rhythm & Blues and Rock 'n Roll; or the lack of that; on what should
be considered the first rock 'n roll record; and more.

There is no doubt anywhere that rock 'n roll developed from rhythm &
blues - even those who claim that the country & western influences
are essential still recognize the  rhythm & blues as the originating
style.  Country music, or by then "hillbilly" has its roots in the blues too.

Most discussions are about where in the development of the style, it
should be labeled rock 'n roll.  I think there are two developments
that made rock 'n roll:

- stylistic: the emerge of the back beat, the "rock and roll fad" in
Rhythm & Blues from the late forties, gospelish delivery getting in
fashion, the growing emphasis on the guitar over the horns
- cultural: segregation, crossover, "teenagification" and
commercialization. From a predominant black style played by and aimed
at mature African-Americans to music played by young white artists
aimed at the white teenage audience mass marketed with greater budget
by the greater record labels (together with the indies).

Stylistically, rock 'n roll-like elements are to be found in Rhythm &
Blues since the thirties, e.g. Roll 'em Pete by Pete Johnson and Joe
Turner.  There are also examples of gospel/blues crossover and
gospelish delivery of blues to be found at least from the
thirties.  They became mainstream in R&B from the late forties.  From
this viewpoint, Rock 'n Roll started somewhere around 1948.  (Note
that 1948 was the recording ban of the AFM.  Much material released
in '48 was recorded in one month, December 1947.  I wonder how much
this has contributed to the fad).

The generation gap and the crossover aspect are cultural aspects that
say less of the music itself.  They both happened in the
mid-fifties.  Personally I tend to favour the racial/generation
approach over the stylistical, that's much harder to pinpoint.  Or as
I said in one of my radio shows: Rock 'n Roll swept the nation when
the white kids started playing their version of the Rhythm & Blues
and the record labels saw the big money in it.  The raunchy subjects
of the blues were changed into naive love songs, the sax was thrown
in the junkyard and teenagers bought the records.

So I place Rock 'n Roll in the fifties and let Rhythm & Blues what it
always was - African American music.  Before '48 it was called "race
music" and no-one had heard of Rhythm & Blues until Jerry Wexler
coined the term.

All significant developments in popular music since the start of the
20th century, have been started in African-American culture and
crossed over to the white audience after they'd become hot and
mainstream in "race music" - whether it were early jazz styles, swing
or rock 'n roll.

Koenraad G Kamphuijs
The Legends of the Rocking Dutchman - a weekly show on the Rhythm &
Blues from the thirties to fifties.
http://www.koenkamphuijs.nl/radio