[78-L] Rock & Roll rising (was: Escott, was Arnold Covey)

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Fri Mar 7 09:12:56 PST 2014

I've always found Louis Jordan interesting. I consider him more a
crossover novelty act, judging by his choice and execution of material,
than the more specific R&B, bop, big band, combo, etc. descriptions. But
it's true that R&R drew from all those influences and more while being
shaped. However I do not think that shaping was purposeful, more
accidental and/or evolutionary.
Could it be possible that the dynamism between city and country, black
and white, standard and non-standard, etc., musical forms is why Rock &
Roll developed? That's far more likely, in my estimation.
Malcolm

*******