[78-L] Escott, was Arnold Covey

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Thu Mar 6 20:58:40 PST 2014

On 3/6/2014 9:01 PM, Cary Ginell wrote:
> It has more to do with the role the guitarist plays, in my opinion, vs. tenor sax. Just having electric guitar in a group isn't the sole criteria. I don't think it's possible to define what is rock n roll and what isn't and have everyone agree. I listened to Rock This Joint by Preston and it still sounds like R&B/jump to me.
>
> Cary

Can't help but agree with this in principal. Blues/R&B/jump had the same
rhythm and chord progressions going way back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdZYayVhXVQ
I think it was almost entirely how it was marketed and brought into
prominence. We might easily agree that what we might recognize as rock
probably was being played somewhere before there were mikes around to
record it. And I think also it has to do with when it became acceptable
to a larger white audience through various means, possible taken on as a
symbol of independence to an emerging adolescent culture (read, James
Dean). AND when it supplanted the old dance music (though I remember
every guy wanted to "slow dance" with is favorite chick even in the 60's
when I was a lad).

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.