[78-L] Lester Young - or Arnold Corey?

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 20:36:46 PST 2014

All this discussion brought to mind one of the dumbest liner note guffaws I've ever seen.  Even I figured out it was wrong.

Columbia Jazz Masterpieces series 1987, Benny Goodman Vol 1 "Roll 'Em" CJ40588
Liner notes by Brian Peerless
For the last track it says...
"The final item, "Honeysuckle Rose" is a classic by the orchestra with solos by Goodman and Elman, and the father of modern jazz-guitar playing - the young Arnold Corey. ..."

Yes, it really did say that, "Arnold Corey" [sic].  They at least got Covey right on the Sept 13 1939 session list, but c'mon....   I wonder if this world-class boner was fixed on the subsequent printings or the CD version.

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.