[78-L] Lester Young?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 5 11:02:59 PST 2014

I love the review....

  Review by arwulf arwulf

Steer clear of this creepy bootleg! Sax-A-Plenty has 15 titles, some of which
appear to have been made up by the maladjusted individuals who simultaneously
issued them under this title on Wesgram and as "Tenor King" on "Prestige"
(perhaps a counterfeit version of the real Prestige label) with a photo of Paul
Gonsalves on the cover! Let's reiterate in plain terminology: several of these
titles were apparently invented by the producers of this highly suspect album
and do not exist in any Lester Young discography or session index. The
fraudulence of Sax-A-Plenty is greatly magnified by another release of the same
questionable material on an album called Tenor King that has the name Lester
Young posted on the cover with a photograph of tenor saxophonist Paul
Gonsalves. For pity's sake, didn't Lester Young have a hard enough life? How on
earth could these people justify this kind of posthumous abuse and chicanery?
Steer clear of this appalling abomination as well as its ghoulish twin, Tenor
King. And shame upon those who committed these disrespectful crimes of
negligence against the creative spirit, the honored memory, and artistic legacy
of Lester Young.

Made up artists and made up names are as bad as NO names. There are some
Continental sides that have appeared on Remington, Continental and Plymouth lps
with new titles attached, and my dad had a 12" Mercury lp called "Tenor Jazz"
which didn't identify the performers anywhere (label, jacket).

dl