[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 65, Issue 34

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 26 16:03:26 PST 2014

LEN'-nik, last time I checked.

Mantovani said Mann-Toe-VAH'-nee..most people would say MAN'-toe-VANN'-nee or
MAHN'-toe-VAH'-nee. Dorati should emphasize the first syllable but he
apparently accepted accenting the second. And don't get me started on Rafe von
Williams...I got a poison pen letter which I'm sure came from another CBC
broadcaster, bawling me out for using a pronunciation Mrs. Ralph said was
entirely acceptable.

I pronounced Raymond Leppard's last name with equal emphasis on both syllables
and the English-born production supervisor said "How did you know?" Lucky guess.

dl