[78-L] Can't believe it !!!

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Feb 24 12:56:00 PST 2014

> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 20:19:41 +0100
> From: I?igo Cubillo <ice261263 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [78-L] Can't believe it !!!
> To: 78-l <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>
> Recently I approached a bookbinder's workshop in search of newly made
> record albums.
>
> I carried with me one of those brown Decca albums bounded with screws, etc,
> as a model to copy. I believe this is a good album system, as far as they
> have resisted well the last 70 years. It seems cheap and easy to made. In
> Spain they use that kind of lids and bounding system with screws, for many
> documents.
> All good except for the quality of the cardboard sleeves that Decca used
> back in the 40s, which is that brown stuff that tends to get darker and
> tear apart.
>
> I showed to the guy at the workshop the whole system, and left there the
> album simply to copy it and give me and assessment of the cost for 170
> units (with better quality cardboard sleeves, and without the artwork
> pressed in the lids, Morocco style).
>
> $70/each. That is what I got... !!!     The original was bought at Nauck's
> at $5 a piece...
>
> I would have to make the albums myself.
>
> Inigo

  I've never understood why any serious 78 collector would want to store them in those ridiculous albums. Over the years I've  accumulated many different types (many inherited)  and every one including the ones you describe which I purchased decades ago were a useless, unwieldy and inconvenient horror and were gladly discarded. The thing they are best suited for is breaking the edge of a disc when turning the sleeves with less than extreme care.  I long ago switched to Bags Unlimited mailing cartons which can easily hold up to about 15 discs in their own sleeves. A label attached to the edge of the box and a printed sheet in the box describing the contents covers it all and the discs are safe and comfortable as should be the owner. In addition the boxes take up much less depth on the shelf. A simple, perfect and less costly solution to an old problem.
  JD