[78-L] Helen Humes question about Suspicious Blues

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 21 12:23:07 PST 2014

On 21/02/14 20:00, Koen Kamphuijs & Gusta Harderwijk wrote:
> For my radio show I try to find some information on Helen Humes' song
> Suspicious Blues that she did back in 1944 for the Savoy label.  What
> I wonder is the backing orchestra - according to a
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_lB-CTdwGM>you tube clip it was
> with Leonard Feather's hiptet; the
> <http://www.78discography.com/Sav5500.htm>Savoy page on the online 78
> discography project mentions the band of Herbie Fields and credit the
> composition to Leonard Feather.  Now normally I tend to find other
> sources more reliable than what users write with the youtube clips
> they upload, but the 78 discography project pages are notorious - at
> least with me - for their inaccuracies (oops what am I saying now).
>
> Anyone who can tell me which source is right?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Koenraad G Kamphuijs
>
> The Legends of the Rocking Dutchman - http://www.koenkamphuijs.nl/radio

The Lord 10.0 discography gives the following personnel:

Helen Humes Acc By Leonard Feather's Hiptet:
Helen Humes (vcl) acc by Bobby Stark (tp) Herbie Fields (cl,as) Prince
Robinson (ts) Leonard Feather (p,arr) Chuck Wayne (g) Oscar Pettiford
(b) Denzil Best (d)
New York, November 20, 1944
S5745    I would if I could but I can't    Savoy 5513
S5746    Keep your mind on me          5514
S5747    Fortune tellin' man          5513, Whiskey, Women, and...
(Swd)KM701
S5748    Suspicious blues          5514
Note: All above titles also on Savoy (Eu)WL70824 and on Savoy SJL1159
titled "E-Baba-Le-ba - The Rhythm & Blues Years"; see various titles
between May 9th, 1950 and November 20th, 1950 for additional titles.
Whiskey, Women, and... (Swd)KM701 titled "Be-baba-leba"; see various
flwg sessions to February 2, 1952 for the rest of this LP.
All above titles also on Classics (F)892 [CD].

      Julian Vein