[78-L] Self-playing record?

Benno Häupl goldenbough at arcor.de
Wed Feb 19 15:12:01 PST 2014

.
To view the record you can enter the item number in the search field on eBay:
181323566822

Being a collector of weird ethnic 78s, I may have a dozen of them - with music hardly,  if ever,
found on old 78s, like e.g. Tibetan or Hunza.  One of the labels largely distributed by missionaries
was "Good News", or "Buenas Nuevas".  The music is mostly some type of Gospel Choir or solo
Spiritual, but always in the native language.  Only occasionally (maybe one disc in four) did I find
authentic ethnic music on these labels:  vocal solo with native instrument or small band.

Of course, the singing is always some local/regional language or dialect. And the text must be
some Christian "enlightment".

These records do reproduce sound pretty well, even when you take some cardboard from a box
that you shape into a horn with a stiff tip (a leaf from a tree, a thorn, what have you). The problem
is more to keep the wow and flutter below 50% when you're spinning free-handedly. Not really apt
to convince potential converts.

Benno