[78-L] OT stereo LPs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Feb 17 07:11:16 PST 2014

I have the pre-recorded tape version of Sound In The Round as well as
several disc copies of different vintages.  The November 1957 single
groove stereo LP IS real.  I don't have a copy but I have a CD someone
made of it for me which includes photos of the record and the packaging.
 It was pressed from test lacquers Sidney Frey had Westrex cut for him
after they gave their industry demonstration and offered to cut lacquers
from your stereo tape for companies to test.  They put in some bleeps to
keep someone from doing exactly what Frey did!  One side was train
sounds and the other were some music samples.  Audio Fidelity got out
four real albums in March 1958 which were practically the first to hit
the market.  Three had been previously issued on mono LPs, but one was
Volume Four of the Dukes of Dixieland which was issued simultaneously in
mono and stereo -- the first time it had been done.  The major labels
did not get their first stereo discs out until the late summer.  The
real trick was not getting the records out but getting stereo pick-up
cartridges on the market!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com