[78-L] electric guitar 1929

warren moorman wlmoorman3 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 20:51:54 PST 2014

Here's several more photos pertinent to the Gage Brewer story. The first shows his bandstand circa 1933-34, and clearly visible leaning on their speaker are the guitars from the newspaper story, as well as a standard acoustic at stage left:

  http://www.wichitaphotos.org/graphics/wschm_H5-36.2.2.jpg

And here's that band, by then a regular dance band rather than a Hawaiian style lineup, with Brewer holding a sax and another player at right sitting beside another acoustic (and speaker, that one for the vocal mic). Presumably he doubled on guitar in either a Hawaiian segment or guitar parts within the dance band arrangements.

http://www.wichitaphotos.org/graphics/wschm_H5-36.2.1.jpg

Indeed, here we see the second guitarist, apparently unamplified, while Brewer appears to play his electric lap guitar:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/It1Gb0wl9ug/mqdefault.jpg

For completeness, here's three photos of earlier Gage Brewer bands, apparently all Hawaiian oriented, with a pre-electric Brewer still on lap acoustic:

http://www.wichitaphotos.org/graphics/wschm_H5-36.1.1.jpg

http://www.harpguitars.net/history/epiphone/1931_Washburn_octo-fox.jpg

http://www.wichitaphotos.org/graphics/wschm_H5-36.3.1.jpg

And here's a video of the Wichita historical society's 2010 exhibit on the early electric guitar, including Brewer, Lowell Keisel, (Carvin guitar founder), Milo Wiley (early Fender dealer) and more, including a 78 signed from Sol Hoopi to Gage Brewer, and apparently, Brewer's original 1932 Rickenbacker frying pan electric, although it's not featured in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEdtyrsY5js

Here's a photo with the Hoopi signed 78 shown:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/AEdtyrsY5js/hqdefault.jpg

It's understandable that Wichita's boosters are eager to claim that the electric guitar debuted there, however as Joe and Malcolm point out, it's hardly that simplistic or certain. Sort of reminds me of the efforts of Marshall Texas to declare itself the unequivocal birthplace of boogie woogie piano. Or as Prof. Harold Hill declared, "River City needs a band"!