[78-L] electric guitar 1929

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Fri Feb 14 13:02:20 PST 2014

Okay, so what you have here is an amplified acoustic guitar / banjo /
mandolin / banjo-mandolin, etc., which is a far cry from an electric
instrument. It's an /electrified/ instrument. The first commercial
/electric/ instument, where each string's vibrations were used to by a
transducer to form an electrical signal, which then went to am
amplifier, was manufactured by Rickenbacker and was a lap-style Hawaiian
steel guitar.

*The record that is considered to be the first example of the electric
guitar is* Vi V-92, Noi Lane Hawaiian Orchestra (electric steel guitar
player unknown), "Dreams Of Aloha", recorded in NYC on Feb. 22, 1933.
Bob Dunn followed suit in 1934.

Malcolm

*******