[78-L] Alice Babs dies at 90

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Tue Feb 11 10:55:36 PST 2014

Shirley Temple was the international child star; in Scandinavia Alice
Babs was the teenage gal who made jazz popular among the broad public,
thanks to a couple of jazz-orientated movies in the early 40's, some of
which also had great impact in other parts of Europe, especially in the
war years when jazz was pushed back by nationalist regimes.
Alice Babs recorded with Svend Asmussen (still alive at 97), Erwin Lehn,
Paul Kuhn, Duke Ellington and most of the Swedish jazz elite, including
Bengt Hallberg, Arne Domnerus and Harry Arnold. Most of her production,
though, was in popular music.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Babs
Kristjan