[78-L] Columbia WWI multi colored illustrated labels

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Fri Feb 7 17:02:28 PST 2014

Many European 78's in the early acoustic era had multi-coloured labels.
For some reason the record companies dropped that routine in the 1920's.
I've often wondered why; sheet music, at the time, was nicely illustrated.
Anyone knows?
Here are a few multi-coloured European labels from 1910-1920:

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/iblog/C1221370065/E20091029084847/index.html
(British)
http://www.russian-records.com/categories.php?cat_id=207 (Russian Beka)
http://www.tufftuff.net/78/appl.htm (Swedish)