[78-L] My history of broadcasting course

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Feb 4 12:30:28 PST 2014

The song you really need is "Turn On Your Radio (and Listen In On Your
Home Town)", not to be confused with "Turn Your Radio On" which is a
gospel song.  The Ray Stevens song is yet another different one.

The one I refer to was from 1924, Vocalion B 14754 Ben Selvin and has a
vocal by Irving Kaufman with a POSITIVE REALISTIC view of radio without
it being a fantasy like most of the other songs.

"Turn on your radio,
And then you listen!
Without a radio, Oh! what you're missin'!
The air is full of song,
So run along and buy a set!
Just turn a little dial,
And in a while, see what you get!
You'll hear a jazz band play out in Chicago!
You'll hear 'most everyone of great renown!
And if you're blue, and on your mind
You've got the folks you left behind,
You can listen in on your home town!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTUuPHYNGgY