[78-L] Problem with very high energy incorporated into remastered 78s

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Tue Feb 4 08:03:53 PST 2014

Acoustic recordings generally lack bass, treble, and the mid-range that's there is sonically very coloured.  Years ago, when I got my hands on my first parametric equalizer, I discovered that with some serious manipulation of the controls, some acoustic recordings did yield some bass, particularly some Stokowski Philadelphia recordings;  also some Toscanini La Scala recordings responded to this treatment to a degree.  If you want to hear some impressive transfers of acoustic recordings, listen to some of Dennis Rooney's transfers in Sony's Masterworks Heritage series, particularly those by Ysaye.

db