[78-L] My history of broadcasting course

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Mon Feb 3 17:31:54 PST 2014

Greetings from FixitLand!

On 3 Feb 2014, at 2:12 PM, Donna Halper wrote:

> I am teaching about radio's formative years (1920s-1930s) and trying to
> compile a playlist for my students of hit songs about radio from that
> era.  I can think of a few-- like Love Her By Radio or I Wish There Was
> A Wireless to Heaven, but surely there were other  hits I can share with
> the class. For some reason, I'm drawing a blank. Suggestions?

I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Listening On Some Radio" (Garber-Davis Orchestra on Columbia A3782, for one). "Cohen Buys A Wireless Set" by Joe Hayman, Columbia A3832. It's a bit late, from 1933, but there's Rudy Vallée's Bluebird record "On The Air" (B-5097). How 'bout one of the Ford and Glenn Columbias announced by the Solemn Old Judge of W. L. S.? Or "Twisting The Dials" by The Happiness Boys? (Victor 35953, two parts)

Tke care,

—
Joe
—
“The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats...”—Albert Schweitzer